Children are ready to transition to a seat belt alone when they pass the 5 point Safety Belt Test:
- Can the child sit on the seat with the hips all the way to the back of the vehicle seat?
- Do the child’s knees bend over the front of the vehicle seat?
- Does the lap portion of the seat belt lie as low on the hips, across the top of the thighs?
- Does the shoulder strap portion of the seat belt cross over the mid-section of the chest, falling between the shoulder and neck?
- Can the child stay seated like this for the whole car trip?
If you responded yes to the questions on this test, and the child is at least 8 years old, they are ready to transition to a seat belt.